Search This Blog

Monday, October 21, 2013

A Former Skeptic of Natural Medicine: How A Believer Came to Be and Discovered Essential Oils



Hello. My name is Laura Farley, and I am a former skeptic of natural medicine.

(Me, and my husband, Adam.)


I grew up in a family where we went to the doctor for pretty much everything. If we got a bad cold, we'd go to the doctor, even if they couldn't do a thing about it. We got our recommended immunizations, check ups, antibiotics, etc. I grew up believing that any prescribed medicine that the doctors give you, it will heal you and fix you, and that's all you needed.

I never knew about natural medicines until I got a job as a nanny in Switzerland. The mother was studying to be a homeopathic doctor. When I learned the things she believed, I thought she was nuts. I thought it was weird. I decided that it's her life and she can do what she wants and that I was just going to stick with my cold medicines and prescribed pharmaceuticals. Well, when the mother learned of my eating habits (which excluded every single vegetable possible), and that I supported doctors and pharmaceuticals, it became ugly. Long story short, I was stuck with a woman for four months who I felt was a controlling, psychotic homeopathic. She thought that anyone who wasn't "natural", was completely incompetent and beneath her. When I finally left Switzerland, I hated everything natural. I loathed it. Even the word "natural" sent a shiver of disgust down my spine.

A few months after I returned from Switzerland, I met my husband, who himself, and his family, completely support natural medicine. His mother is a nutritional herbalist and one of the sweetest women I've ever known. But I did think that my husband's family's belief in natural medicine was a little crazy at first. I couldn't have imagined my life without doctors or medication. I was already dependent on several different medications and believed I'd be on them for the rest of my life. However, I decided to try it out.

After Adam and I got married, I became very sick with an infection. I was in a lot of pain and by the second day, was begging Adam to take me to the doctor. But, by the time I was begging him to take me somewhere, it was midnight and all the InstaCare offices were closed. The only place we could go was to the Emergency Room. With our budget and being newly wed, we had no place in our finances where we could afford an ER bill without going into debt. Adam asked me if I would be willing to try some herbs until morning, and if I wasn't better, he would take me to the doctor. I wasn't happy about it, but I agreed to it. My mother in law gave me some pills with an herbal mixture, and made me drink parsley tea all night. I was waking up every hour to have a cup of parsley tea and an herbal pill. When I woke up for the day, I felt completely fine. The pain was gone! It really shocked me, as I have had this infection several times before and had to go to the doctors every time to get very strong antibiotics and painkillers. It was really amazing to me that a plant... helped my body to heal itself just as well as the antibiotics did. Better even, because I didn't have any side effects that antibiotics usually give me.

I became more open to using herbs after that experience. But I still hadn't learned about essential oils.

One day, at the end of January 2013, I was hearing about a few women in my church who were teaching a class about essential oils. My mother in law was new to doTERRA's essential oils, and she was very excited about them. It took a bit of persuasion, but I finally went to an introductory class a couple weeks later. While I was listening to people talk, I thought the idea of essential oils was very nice, but personally, I would never use it. I just didn't think it would work for me. However, at the end of the class, they talked about how to buy some kits. My husband wanted to get the Family Physician's kit (which is an introductory kit with the top 10 most popular oils), and I was kind of nervous about getting it because I wasn't sure about how well they'd work and I felt it was costly. But, because my husband was excited about it, I decided to go ahead and order one.

While I was waiting for my kit to arrive, I got a horrible sinus infection. My mom in law brought over some oils for me to try. She had me take a blend with Lemon, Peppermint, Eucalyptus, Thyme, and Melissa, which was, let me tell you, a powerful thing!!! It cleared up my sinuses 100% and I was able to breathe through my nose for the first time in days. Then, she had me take Oregano and Lemon in capsules with a glass of water and rub an immune boosting blend on my feet. My husband also suggested a strange remedy: mash up several garlic cloves, mash with butter, spread on bread, and eat it three times a day. But the combination of the oils and garlic sandwiches worked. My sinus infection was gone within two days!

I was sold after that! I used the oils to ease discomforts and assist with healing for many, many things. My Irritable Bowel Disease, acne, getting off all three of my maximum dose depression medications, blisters, burns, anxiety, controlling my appetite, my husband's sleep walking/talking, colds, sinus infections, fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, detoxing my lymphatic system... I could go on and on. (I will be writing posts about my personal experiences using the oils as a testimonial about how the oils worked for me and what protocols I used.) When I introduced the oils to my friends and family, I witnessed miraculous differences in health and wellness with those who used the oils.

I can say, with 100% knowledge and experience, that I know top quality essential oils work! I'm so blessed to have been introduced to them. My life has been forever changed, and I have been so motivated to share my experience with everyone I know and meet. I hope to help those around me know that they can take charge of their health using essential oils, and to experience how wonderful they are!

If you have any questions or comments, or want to know about which brand of essential oils I recommend, please feel free to contact me at journeytopersonalfreedom@gmail.com

Thank you for all your love and support!




No comments:

Post a Comment